Friday, May 1, 2009

9th circuitry - So Cal!


Like other fans of article iii and legal mongers, I wanted to find out more on who President Obama would pick to fill Justice Souter's shoes -- or rather the void on the bench when you look up and don't see his goofy ears? I did some research, just so I can pick a favorite early in the race and then have a chance to demonstrate some intense article III groupieness. With the list provided by BLT, in hand -- I googled the credentials of these amazing legal practioners and judges. And...after much clicking and clacking. I've decided to go with Judge Kim McLane Wardlaw.

Underneath their robes did a wonderful interview with her back in 2004 and I fell in favor of her candidness and impecable tastes-- beside her notable qualifications as a 9th Circuit judge and feeder to many SCOTUS clerkships, I've identified my reasons to think that she is worthy of raising to Justice-dom. I've highlighted some of the quotations below. For full interview, click here.

Reason #1: she's a regular SoCal gal
[responding to question about whether she could see herself hanging up the robes and returning to regular life]
"I’m already a “regular gal”; I’m just also a federal appellate judge.. "
see e.g. annecdote she provided to A3G: I once broke my ankle because I foolishly thought I could do a step-class with weights and keep up with the Cal-Tech undergraduates. I haven’t been back to that class.

Reason #2: she is a judicial diva

On a related note, do you consider yourself to be a judicial diva?
Yes.

'nuff said!

Reason #3: Legally blonde!
"I actually empathize a bit with Reese Witherspoon’s character in “Legally Blonde”-- during my first semester at UCLA, no one invited me to be in their study group!"

Reason #4: Fashion philosophy
"I love finding new designers and trying out new styles"
Though judges wear robes, it does not mean that they cannot wear fabulous outfits underneath their robes or outside the courtroom. I'm a big fan of better fashion sense in the legal world, overall!

Reason #5: 9th Circuit Court in Pasadena!
Pasadena is the home of lovely venues like the Pasadena Civic Auditorium (where the now long-running Fox Show American Idol further winnows out the "Going to Hollywood"-ers before America gets to vote), the Rose Bowl (great for rocket launching) and Cal Tech University (great for seeking out other nerds). I am quite ashamed to admit I did not know about the best show in town for a law nerd is the 9th Circuit.

I'm on a flight to LA later today, will be seeing my lovely relatives who coincidentally live in the same town as Judge Wardlaw. hm, I may be an article iii groupie, but I am certaintly not a stalker!

See Also Update: Her open letter on Ms. JD part of their first women series.

No comments:

Post a Comment